Saturday

Graphic 45 Communique Collection - Altered Wooden Cigar Box

This started with a wooden Cigar Box ( 6" x 10") living in our attic for years. This handmade sigarbox, given to my husband during his work travel in the Philippines many years ago, had his name engraved in it. When I found it while we were clearing out our loft,  I immidiately confiscated it to alter and re-use it.

After using sandpaper to ruff up the surface I painted the hole box with white gesso (mistake, I should have used black gesso), on top of that I added black acrylic paint. I then modpodged the Graphic 45 Communique Collection Papers (which I had been hording for ages) on top of that. I finished it with another layer of modpodge on top to seal and protect it.

Last but not least a finishing touch by adding a trim on the edge, red felt on the outside and inside bottom of the box. I like things simple and clean - speaking for itself, that is why I decided to leave it without any more embelishments because the paper is too beautiful to mess it up ~smile~.

I envision using it as a correspondance box... filling it with love letters tied together with a lovely ribbon. I'm still working on the love letter part :)







Materials I used are
Wooden Sigar Box
Sandpaper... and lots of elbow greace
White Gesso
Reeves Acrylic paint - Black
Plaid Mod Podge - Mat
Graphic 45 paper - Communique Collection
Tim Holtz Distress ink - Vintage Photo
Felt - red
Vintage Trim

 You can find some of the materials here:
- Ranger & Tim Holtz products from The Stampman

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful cigarbox! You did put alot work on it so I am sure it feel like a very high quality box.
    I wish you a great sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word this is gorgeous!! Makes me greedy: I WANT ONE, I WANT ONE! :p Never mind the love letters, I have loads of stuff I can keep in there. You did a great job, Caroline (and the papers only add to the beauty of it all!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty, pretty...I love your style...I see the card there...I found the Papillon set yippiee!

    ReplyDelete